A Last-Minute Vacation and Simplicity 1660


Hello again! Oh my - I certainly haven’t gotten off to a very good blogging start!  I’ve been busy
sewing, just not posting.  The good news is that I haven’t broken my 2014 RTW Fast.  Yay!
We took a very spur-of-the-moment trip during a school break my son had this past spring.  With only 3 days to get ready, my initial instinct was to run to the store and start buying clothes for the trip.  Hating to break the RTW Fast resolution so early in the year, I took a deep breath, went through my fabric stash and started stitching.
 
We were heading to an island, so I thought this silk crepe de chine in nautical colors would be perfect.  I didn’t have much time to worry about fitting, so I selected Simplicity1660 View B since it was loose-fitting.
 
 
 
The fabric is light weight so I sewed French seams, plus I think French seams make the inside look so much nicer. 
 
 
 
The only change I made to the pattern was to create a pleat in the back instead of gathering – I just think it looks little neater. 
 
 
After top-stitching I noticed the two edges weren’t quite as close as they should have been and I should have top-stitched a little closer to the center, but I didn’t want to risk leaving holes in the fabric by redoing it, so I’m just going to have to live with the little gap.
 
 

Overall, I'm happy with the blouse – it was quick and easy to put together, the silk was perfect in the heat and I didn’t break my fast!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lori! I know this was posted a while ago, but I have a couple questions...

    Did you have to add anything to the seam allowance to allow for the french seams?
    Does doing french seams omit the need for bias tape?

    Thank you so much! I am very excited to make a few of these shirts!! :)

    Cassie

    ReplyDelete